Friday, November 2, 2012

six songs 2012

We had our annual "Six Songs" art show last weekend.
It is so wonderful to be apart of a church community that values and encourages artists!
I look forward to it every year, 
even though I always wait till the last minute and always doubt what I can come up with, 
God always seems to show me what new things to share about what He's teaching me.
I'm excited to give this painting to my dear friends in California when I go to visit them this month!

Here was my piece and the blurb I wrote for it- enjoy!

song inspiration: ulysess by josh garrels; watercolor & colored pencils on wood


There's a quite a few interpretations of this song that I've read- the title of it being drawn from a character in the Odyssey who longs to be reunited with his love. There is also a parallel drawn to the struggles of life. This was a pretty simple concept to me, but I'm not too good at hidden meanings so I really did love the simplicity of it. I also have a love of typography so I loved the process of writing out these words.

The lyrics I chose are what really struck me about the song:

"Carry me with the memories of the beauty I have known" 

This brought to mind the recent reminder I've had in my life- to know the importance of remembering what God has done to change my life.
Remembering what God has done in the past can carry me in the times I'm just not sure. There is beauty in these memories- even if they were painful at the time, I believe God has used them all for good.

"I'm sailing home to you, I won't be long...
By the light of moon, I will press on"

“Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ took hold of me.” -Philippians 3:12

No comments:

Post a Comment